Frequently Asked Questions for the NEED Nutrition & Cooking Program
How many OHSU Healthy Lifestyles Classes will there be in the program?
- There will be approximately 6 HL classes throughout the course of the program. They will each be 3 hours long and take place on a weekday afternoon/evening.
Will food be provided during the Healthy Lifestyles classes?
How many cooking classes will there be?
- There will be 7 cooking classes. During the last one, we will be filming for the recipe cookbook.
Where will the program take place?
- Tabor Heights United Methodist has generously offered their space for the initial pilot program. They have a commercial kitchen and a large space for sharing a meal. Their address is 6161 SE Stark St, Portland, OR 97215
What kinds of things will we be learning?
- We will be learning about food resources in the community, kitchen hygiene and safety, simple healthy recipes, about whole foods, how to make healthier choices and more.
How much does the program cost?
- To be determined
Are there scholarships available?
- Yes, please contact Anna at firstname.lastname@example.org or by calling (503)223-7279
How many group members will be in the class?
- For our initial pilot program, there will be 12 people in the class.
How many support people will be in the class?
- The ratio of support is 1 volunteer/staff for every 3 group members.
How long are the classes?
- The cooking classes are 4 hours long and the Healthy Lifestyles classes are 3 hours long.
On what days will the classes take place?
- The cooking classes take place on Saturday and the Healthy Lifestyles take place during a weekday late afternoon/evening.
Can I join the monthly cooking group if I have not gone through the program?
- Currently we are requiring that you graduate from the program prior to entering the monthly cooking groups.
How old do I need to be to be part of the program?
- You must be at least 16 years of age to participate in the program. If you are under the age of 18, we ask that you bring a family member or support staff with you to the classes.
When will the program start?
- The first group is set to start January 2018. Check below for program dates