Celebrating 60 Years of Service!
In 2013, The Arc of Multnomah-Clackamas proudly celebrates 60 years of service. Our role continues to be an enduring advocate and provider of supportive services for people with developmental and intellectual disabilities.
Understanding that disabilities also impact loved ones, we assist both individuals and their families. Although the specific services that we offer have changed over the years, our efforts to make meaningful differences in the lives of those we serve continue to evolve.
Our philosophy is that inclusion is a right, not a dream. As an invaluable resource for the greater Portland area, The Arc remains a neutral place to access information, receive support, ask questions, learn about legal rights, and engage in personal and community advocacy.
Did You Know . . .
- about 17% of U.S. children under 18 years of age have a developmental disability?
- one out of ten Americans has someone with a cognitive disability in their family?
- cognitive disabilities are ten times more prevalent than physical disabilities?
- although it is hard to estimate the costs of caring for children with more serious forms of cognitive development, the costs may be as much as 10 times higher than caring for a child who does not have a disability?
- whether the individual with a developmental disability is a child or an adult, the reality is that any disability can impose a financial burden that the family will not be able to meet?